Sunday, November 21, 2010

Challenges with implementing video and audio technology









Audio and video technology opens a world of wonderful resources to any student.  But when teachers plan to use these resource in a school setting, they may run into come roadblocks.  

  1. Schools may have firewalls or net nannies that prevent the access to You Tube and other video sites.  This means that I sometimes am not able to completely take advantage of teachable moments because I can only access the site from home.  Teachers must plan ahead and download their videos in advance.  I have software that I use.  It is called FLV Pro and I bought it from http://www.flvtoaviconverter.com/.  It allows me to chose my videos (and it works on all sites,not just You Tube) and download it to my thumb drive.  
  2. The costs associated with audio and video technology may be prohibitive.  Some of my favorite videos and podcasts for students are on subscription-based members-only sites.  To get around this, I write grants.  One of my favorite grant sites is www.donorschoose.org.  Frequently there are corporations that provide matching grants  (Visit my grant proposals at www.donorschoose.org/mrsfoote.)
  3. Some administrators view technology as playing games and not as providing students with great opportunities to learn.  I address that concern by inviting them into class to see how I use video and audio technology to enhance and streamline the learning of my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment